Nuffnang

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Apr 4 – Medical Checkup

7.30am, Kim from HR called to confirm on the medical checkup which I had to go first for X-tray at Dato Kramat before noon, then urine test & blood pressure at the company’s clinic by 2.45pm.

I continued to sleep till 9.30am. Dad fetched me down. So many ppl waiting. I asked the receptionist, she told me some just came along to kepo. I had to stand, dad waited outside of the clinic, smoked his pipe. Saw a guy in grey shirt and black slacks…my guess, a candidate for the same company.

I waited for about 10 mins before I was called in. Had to remove my shirt and bra, skirt pulled down a bit….inhaled and held breath for about 5 seconds, done ! Damn fast. Was told to wait outside, another 10 -15 mins…got my film ready.

Dad brought me to Tg Tokong for lunch. Nice Malay food at this flat (Dunno what name), it’s next to Tulang corner which was hit by December’s Tsunami. Very laku, a lot of ppl came; luckily we reached the stall before 12noon. Two office ladies shared table (we were finishing). I overhead one saying that there were no Fried Chicken or Fried Fish…I told them there were some, but finished liao, they should come earlier. She said they thought they were already very early…12.20pm….well ladies, not early enough to get yr fried chic or fish ler.

Back home, I showered and had a short nap. Damn sleepy and tired. Woke up at 2pm, quickly put on my ICI paint make-up and dressed up. Reached Employee’s Entrance (EE) with 5 mins to spare as I had to walk from outside’s entrance (abt 5 mins walk – I was wearing 3 inches high heels.

Saw a bunch of guys with the same big envelope (X-tray film)…I think abt 5 of them then. They look comfortable talking while I was busy looking out for familiar faces. A technical training senior whom I once saw at the hair saloon near my house came to say hi. He asked whether he saw me somewhere…I told him…he didn’t know it was me then. Turned out he’s staying only 2 roads away from my house. Kim called the security to check if all candidates turned up, there should be another 6 (late comers !!) coming….overheard the guard said.

Upon hearing this, those guys went to sit at the nearby bakery. I continued to stand where I was…still bz lasering around for familiar faces when I was interrupted greeted by a tall, fair, Korean-looking (quite smart actually) guy. Wow, he decided not to join the other 4, instead started introducing himself as Sherman. Soon…we were talking like non-stop and were too busy to realize that the late comers have reached. I found out that Sherman was offered a Manager level position, he’s from another MNC factory, very nearby and that this current company we are joining will compensate for his salary in lieu at the former company. What surprised me was he has no idea what product/country he will be supporting. I managed to peek at his offer letter later as I was standing behind him…C1 level. He will be joining in mid Apr. In fact, most of the guys are joining mid Apr. Eleven of us (3 girls) are Chinese, only one Bengali guy.

We were brought to Clinic for the tests and there were abt 5 forms to fill. Chinese nurse very ‘cheong hei’…kept repeating her instructions. I didn’t bring my specs…didn’t cross my mind there would be eye test. I told Malay nurse I didn’t have my glasses with me. She asked me to try anyway, to read second last line. I wasn’t sure on only a letter …it was a “C” but I said “O”. She told me to bring my glasses next day and test again wor. Then she went into another room to check on the urine. She told Chinese nurse that I need to retake eye test before she went. As Chinese nurse (btw, both the nurses old enough to be my mom) is long-winded, she asked me again…I told her I managed to read except one letter…and I was without my glasses…she said…”Oh, then yr eyesight consider very good”. Damn the Malay nurse…luckily I voiced out, otherwise I had to go for second round and maybe wasted another day.

During the tests, Chinese nurse busy explaining what/how to fill in. There was this section about Habit. She gave examples….”u can put in your bad habits….like if u are heavy smoker, alcoholic, like to shake yr legs, always have headaches, bite yr nails when nervous, twitch yr eyes, sleep-walking, etc….write down, no worries, this is for us to know so as we can help u, we can help to arrange free tests for u”. Ya right, u think u are talking to 3 year olds, aunty ? Wanna trap us huh ? Not that ‘soi-soi’ (silly). I wanted to put none, but in the end, I wrote that I had trouble falling asleep, need at least an hour.

After the almost endless check-ups, we were brought upstairs to a meeting room in the new area…not enuff place, 5 of us, another 2 guys and 2 girls had to sit at the new pantry to fill up another 10 forms I think. I sat down, the 2 guys sat with me while the 2 ladies sat at another table. Only one introduced himself as Alex earlier. Both of them joining TS. I did talk to the ladies earlier. Believe it or not, we took 1 hour to fill up those stupid forms. I dun understand why we still need to fill up “Application form” when we were signing the Offer Letter already. Meow called and asked if I was ready to go, I told him to go back his office (he just left from customer’s site).

I managed to lepak at Alvin’s cube for a while. Saw Gwen (super big size)…she so excited…she came to shake my hand and ‘hayun’ (swing) non-stop…I almost fell off. Miss Water Tap (she is like CNN, she gossips and spread it very fast, also pro at back-stabbing, oh, she damn kiasu as well) damned ‘hao lian’ (show off)…pretended not to see/hear me until I called “Oi, wanna get married punya cha bo (lady)”….waaa…then she kesi-kesi (pretend) so bz and hesitated to turn her head around…memang ‘buey ta han’ (cannot stand) her ! She was the main reason I left that department. She tried influencing Gigi (my good friend of 16 years) to go against me. Saw her new specs…orangey red at the sides, frameless but the lenses damn thick….worse than her earlier ugly specs.

I had to go coz Meow called me liao. On the way out, I passed by my ex’s cube to say hi. Asked when I start work….next day !

I slept around 2am coz update my posts ma. Damn…will have to forego my Chinese and Korean shows liao.

No comments: