Nuffnang

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Insensitve Doc

Note - Present

My uncle (first aunt's hubby) passed away on Monday, 3rd July 10.30pm due to heart failure.

He was admitted to GH, 23 Jun. He passed out and fractured his thigh. At the age of 69, his diabetic level was very high, his eyesight wasn't good (he has cataract and my dad suspected my uncle suffered mild stroke when he went to massage for him) but doc said nothing of that. It was unfortunate that later we learnt my uncle stopped his medication, hence his condition worsen. My aunt and her husband had long been separated but they stay in the same house for the sake of their children. They did not check whether he took his medicine on time, but it's not the time to blame anyone now.

It was real bad that my uncle's big sister was a very fussy and bossy lady. She was so demanding and ordering nurses to do this n that, asking them to let my uncle do physio (but they just put screw inside ma, where can do so soon?)...they 'beh shiok' and the doc asked for my uncle to be discharged just one week after he was admitted. The doc had the nerves to say "U wanna play, I play with u la"
As a doc, how can he uttered such thing? And forced a patient to be discharged when he still need medical attention? Too bad my aunt and cousin didn't record it.

They let let my uncle stay for another two days and discharged on Sun, 2nd July instead of Fri.

I didn't know my uncle was discharged and went to look for him, saw his name for Bed Num 1, but there was another uncle staring back at me...I thought maybe another side...so Meow and I went walking from one end to another, no sight of my uncle. Finally I asked a nurse, she checked and told me he was discharged in the morning.
I asked "how come his name still there?" to which she replied "Oh, today our clerk not working, so no one update it yet".
Walau eh...like that also can ? Sunday clerk not in, so no need to update? I thought it should be updated as soon as a patient leave and comes in.
Nevermind, no time for that...so I called my Aunt (Mako), she said my uncle is at nursing home but she was about to go dinner with her in-laws (uncle's sisters). Meow and I wanted to join so that we could follow them back to nursing home later coz we dunno where it was. But there's wasn't any parking space, I sms-ed Mako telling her would visit my uncle next week.

So, Monday nite, I was working....suddenly, 9.40pm, dad called me asked where I was, he said my uncle was in serious condition. I was really shocked coz I thought he was getting better. I quickly send out my report and changed. But dad called back, asked me to go home feed dogs first coz he didn't get to go home and house was in the dark. He told me, they had called for the ambulance. I quickly rushed home to attend to my dogs...alamak, Maxed pooed in the house. Meow helped me to walk him while I feed the rest. After I was done, and in the car to GH, I called dad, he gave me the bad news. I was upset that I didn't get to see my uncle. Last Wed I went after work but the visiting hours was till 7.30pm and GH very strict.

Later I found out that GH did not give my uncle any of his diabetic pills. He was only given pain killers. He had some pain and difficulty on Sunday noon. My aunt had earlier asked the nurse how come the medication given (to take home) is different from those he took during hospitalisation. The nurse said dunno. Seeing that he wasn't given any pills for his diabetic problem, they went back to take my uncle's old medicine and let him take some. He was then much better.

Then Monday...he was having complication and my dad suggested to call the ambulance. They try to resuscitate my uncle in the ambulance, he was semi-conscious, when reached GH, they said they did their best, but my uncle was pronounced dead at 10.30pm.

I am just warning anyone receiving medical attention in Pg GH, there are snobbish and insensitive doctor / nurses there. As my aunt / uncle aren't wealthy, they cannot afford private hospitals...but does that mean poor / average ppl deserve such treatment ? Isn't this negligence of the hospital ?

May God bless my uncle's soul. Funeral on Fri. I will be on leave again.

1 comment:

Gene Lim said...

God Bless his soul...may he rest in peace...