Nuffnang

Thursday, January 05, 2017

To advise or not to advise?

People love to give advice, don't they? Especially those who are still young or think they know enough to give advice. 

I can understand, I was young once. I was hurt, angry, disappointed, frustrated, sometimes excited...all those emotions I needed to find some ways to channel out. So, what did I do? I started telling people what to do, what not to do, as if I was an expert. Sometimes I tried too hard, I needed to convince them. I needed to warn them. I needed to save them. Really? Could I? Can I? I needed to save myself first. I should be looking at myself and working on myself first. How much did I know? How much do I know to tell others? Yeah, ok...share but don't advise. 

When I said I knew better, I knew best....guess what? Some folks could be rolling their eyes or shaking their head at me. I don't know enough shit to tell people what to do or not to do. I must remind myself not to act like an expert. Tell what I know but don't have to have the need to convince and make them follow my idea or opinion.

Sometimes it's best to shut up and just do.
Now, that's probably the best advice for myself.

No comments: